Turn your next backyard bash into a true tropical dream by planning a Luau or, “Moana Party”! These Luau Party Ideas include simple party planning tips, and themed inspirations for invitations, decor, food, and activities that will delight your guests!
Luau and Moana Party Theme Ideas
Your summer party cant be any more fun than a grass skirt Luau, with colorful flower leis and drinking out of real coconuts. The Funny Face Network brings to you this popular party theme, which, isn’t only ideal for a perfect Polynesian Luau, but also, the best way to surprise your favorite Moana fan!
Moana, or Hawaiian Luau Party Ideas
Getting the Party Started: Planning Tips & Decorating Ideas
What Do You Need For The Party?
If you plan to use luau store-bought party supplies, then we have a suggested party supply list below, that will surely help get you started as you prepare for your celebration. In addition to the typical supplies like tableware and napkins, consider some of these theme ideas available either online or, at your favorite party supply store:
- Adult and kid sized Grass skirts, (wearable) which are fun for male and female or male party guests
- You may want to even try look for the coconut tops
- Leis for Each Guest- these come in a variety of types from plain solids, to fluffy leis with built-in light up features
- Inflatable Palm Trees
- Cut-Out Type Palm Trees for any flat surface
- Lots of inflatable Beach Balls
- Beach Towels (can double as party favors)
- Flip-Flops (found at dollar store, also great for party favors)
- Hula Hoops for the kids to play with (try borrowing these from your kid’s friends so that you have enough)
The invitations are the most important steps first steps in party planning, and also prepare your guests for what to expect in your upcoming event. They do the job, “in setting the mood”…. Here are a few ideas of how you can deliver the details in a themed way:
- Write the particulars of the event on an inflated beach ball. (We hear you can mail the inflated beach ball, or, deflate it, add it to a large envelope, and upon receipt, the invite will get “blown up” )
- Invitations can be sent with sand in a bottle – “message in a bottle” style
- Attach a fun homemade card to a pair of sunglasses and hand deliver
If you do not feel like you have the time to create some of these, turn to Etsy for a fully customized themed invitation!
Luau Party Decorations
Create a backyard (or living room) paradise for your guests to arrive to! From the moment your first guest arrives it will be a full-on Luau theme, feeling like paradise! Here are some ideas on creating the tropicals:
- Line up tiki torches outside
- Get kids play- sand and create sand castles in the yard
- Or set up a sandbox for play fun
- Using the grass skirts, use the fringe to decorate doorways, tabletops, chairs and deck space
- Use piles of seashells surrounded by sand for centerpieces
- Purchase or make large cut out paper flowers and hang on trellises, decorate the door, the posts – these can also be reused for a future event!
- Be sure to get Mylar and latex balloons to set the theme.
- Find movie theme tracks and luau music and play from your phone. Steel drum sounds are a great way to really bring out the ambiance.
Most Important- the Luau Activities
Find a face painter in the Funny Face Network to create paradise on all the guest’s faces!
And we like these too!
To Learn more about Olga of Olga’s Face and Body Art, visit her information here….
Don’t forget to set the stage with fun Photo Props….We like this one from Oriental Trading!
Luau or Moana Party Food Ideas
Theme food is a must to continue the theme through the entire party. Check out these recipe ideas, originally discovered on one of our favorite blogs, Yummi Bites of Food and Life
Luau Appetizer recipes:
Pineapple Mango Fruit Salsa from Home Cooking Memories
Hawaiian Ham and Pineapple Bundles, from It’s Yummi
Flank Steak Tacos with Pineapple-Mango Salsa from The Gingered Whisk
Hawaiian Ham Skewers from Self Proclaimed Foodie
Don’t forget the sides and salads! Checkout these recipe ideas below, we know the kids will love the Jell-O-Salad. Salads and sides (recipes and directions):
Main dishes that are perfect for a Polynesian Theme include:
Don’t forget the Cake!!
Check out these awesome inspirations found online!
Party Favor Ideas
Luau Party Favor Ideas
Don’t forget the Goodie Bags! Birthday in a Box has you covered!
Possible Favors include:
- Beach Balls
- Lei Bracelets
- Flip Flop Shaped Candy
- Hula Skirts
Find more party theme ideas on the Funny Face Network. Hire professional artist entertainers for your party using our Face Painters Network!